Window smashed in dispute between security and staff

AN INVESTIGATION has been launched after a window in the Student Bar was broken during an altercation between members of Pulse Security and a Student Bar sound engineer on Friday 3rd October. Damages are estimated to be at a cost of €260.

The dispute between the staff member and members of Pulse security occurred when a sound engineer was denied access into the bar through the fire exit. Student Bar Manager, Declan Hyland confirmed that a “scuffle” had taken place, but stated that it was a misunderstanding between security and the sound engineer.

“The [sound engineer] was told that he couldn’t go in through the fire exit. In practice they normally use this exit. On his attempt to re-enter the bar, the security tried to enforce that he could not come back in that way.”

Adding that “there were some words”, Mr Hyland explained that “there were claims from [pulse security] that [the sound engineer] pushed one of them and there was counter-claims by the sound engineer that he was pushed.”

At the time of the dispute, the sound engineer and Pulse security team were overseeing an event held in the Student Bar for Med Day.

This incident arises in the midst of student criticism against Pulse security, including claims of an intimidating presence and offensive remarks made by staff and. Last week, security denied students under the age of 19 entry to the Forum Bar, in what Mr Hyland describes as a “misunderstanding”.

Over 100 complaints about the new security team were made to the Students’ Union (SU) since the first week of the semester. Despite this, Mr Hyland stated that no complaints have been officially lodged with him regarding incidences involving Pulse Security, commenting, “we cannot act on anything until we hear the words from the horse’s mouth. For example, if someone was wrongfully refused from the bar, they should report it to us. As members of the SU, they are entitled entry unless there is a real reason for refusal.”

Mr Hyland stated future members of Pulse security should receive a written copy of regulations detailing how security in campus bars should be handled, adding, “they’re not dealing with a bar in town. They are dealing with students. If a student was manhandled like that… I wouldn’t have liked it.”

A full report will be launched into the incident, and will be aided by reports from the Pulse security staff and sound engineer involved, and the students who were eyewitnesses to the event.

Medical Society (Med Soc) Auditor, Niall McGoldrick, said that he was aware of the difficulties and he would facilitate any investigation into the incident.

The University Observer attempted to contact Pulse security, however had not received comment at the time of going to print.