Welfare quiz double booked

A quiz scheduled to run during UCD Students’ Union’s Welfare Week on Wednesday 11th November ran into problems after it emerged that the Student Bar was double booked for the event.

The Welbear dishes up free cake during Welfare Week. Photo: Catriona Laverty

Another table quiz, in aid of the UCD Suas Society was scheduled to take place at the same time in the same venue.

Students’ Union Welfare Officer, Scott Ahearn, attributed the mistake to a “human error”, which resulted in confusion over which event was due to take place on the night in question. Ahern continued that when he “booked the bar initially, it [the reservation] wasn’t put in the books,” but that “when we went to check it again, we asked if there was a table quiz on the books, and we were told that there was… They didn’t realise that it was the Society.”

Once the mistake had been realised, the two bodies agreed to hold a joint quiz with a Father Ted theme, as had originally been scheduled for the Suas event. Ahearn now plans to use the questions he had prepared for his ‘Are You Smarter Than a Ten Year Old’ quiz for a similar event intended to be held on Blue Day, a men’s health event taking place during Women’s Week in the third week of semester two.

The proceeds of the Father Ted quiz were split evenly between Suas and the HSE’s Mental Health office.