Walk of Life: Former UO editor raises €3k for charity

UCD graduate and former Deputy Editor of The University Observer, Emmet Ryan, has completed a walk from Malin Head to Mizen Head in aid of the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland. The walk totalled over 500 miles and took Ryan 28 days to complete, raising €3,000 for the CFAI.

DSCF1840 The idea for the walk came to him after hearing The Proclaimers’ song ‘500 Miles’ in a bar. Ryan remarked, “I’d love to say I was hammered when I came up with the idea and blame it on that but unfortunately, it was early in the night and I was being cocky.”

Ryan completed the walk largely unaccompanied and has admitted that readjusting to meeting and talking to people has been strange. Ryan cites UCD students and alumni as a great support to him during the trek, saying that “a lot of alumni and current students helped me find places to stay along the way. I was amazed at the way so many people connected to the college were willing to help out and support what I was doing.”

The walk took its toll on Ryan’s body – losing three stone throughout the four weeks – but nonetheless he is planning to follow this with further fundraising, admitting that “a charity boxing match has come to mind, but there are issues to overcome to make it a reality.” He has entered the Dublin Half-Marathon in September and the Adidas Dublin Marathon in October, but will give himself a well-deserved rest in the meantime.