Volunteers Sought for Law B&L Day

The Sutherland School of Law is set to play host to Law B&L Day on 5th February. The annual event is a faculty’s day in aid of charity. This year, the chosen charity is Temple Street Children’s Hospital. There will be a wide range of activities organised to raise awareness and funds for the charity in a fun way.

Speaking to the University Observer, Kara Kelly & Aoibhinn Kenny, co-chairs of the event, explained that the day will begin with volunteers heading into the city centre for a bucket collection. Upon their return to the Sutherland building, they will be greeted with a sponsored breakfast.

Following this, there will be a tag rugby tournament, then the annual Law vs. B&L comedy debate. A break for dinner is scheduled, as “sustenance is crucial before the highly competitive table quiz” which will take place that evening in the bar. Afterwards, the day will wind down with a slave auction, before participants get a bus into town to celebrate the success of the event.

The highlight of the day is the comedy debate, which has previously played host to law lecturer James McDermott. When asked whether he will be making an appearance this year, the organisers refused to spoil the surprise. They said it was “a secret, we all know how important he his… that said, if he could find the time to socialise with us mere mortals here on earth, we’d be very excited.”

Kelly and Kenny are looking for as many people as possible to get involved in the event, including those who do not study law. They said they would welcome the “participation of all students! The event is to raise much needed funds for charity after all, so the more the merrier!”

The organisers are looking for teams to enter the tag rugby tournament, as well as committee members to help organise all of the day’s events. They are encouraging students interested in getting involved to check out their Facebook page for up to date details. Updates will be posted on the twitter account @ucdlawday. Students can also get in contact by emailing ucdlawday@gmail.com.