Unused printing money to go to Welfare Fund

The University Observer has learned that money lying in dormant student printing credit accounts is to be donated to the Student Welfare Fund. UCD Students’ Union President, Gary Redmond, revealed that “there are twenty thousand accounts that are inactive at the moment, so any money that is remaining in those twenty thousand accounts will go to the Student Welfare Fund.”

Students who have graduated, or who have not been an active student of UCD for 200 days or more, will have their accounts declared inactive. The date of the monetary transfer, 3rd February, coincides with the deletion of the inactive printing accounts as part of the University’s transition to a new student printing system. The balance of these accounts will be then paid directly to the Student Welfare Fund.

While Redmond could not offer an exact amount to be donated at present, he anticipated that an approximate figure would be known before the donation was made.

_MG_7522Meanwhile, the Students’ Union Welfare Office is to hold a ceremony offering students a chance to remember in the month of November, those close to them who have passed away.

The event, which is being run in conjunction with the Please Talk committee and UCD Chaplains, will see students decorating pebbles commemorating those who have died. SU Welfare Officer Scott Ahearn commented that “November is the month where we remember those that we’ve lost, so I think it’s fitting that UCD does something to reflect this.”

Ahearn will be providing pebbles and decorative materials for the ceremony, which is to take place on 2nd November. The ceremony will entail “a remembrance service, followed by a vigil at the circular courtyard near O’Reilly Hall.”

Ahearn added that he felt it “important that students and staff look to one another for support, can speak openly about their feelings, and can do something to show they’ll always remember that person that they’ve lost.”

He also said that “losing someone is obviously a very difficult thing,” and that he hoped the ceremony would encourage people to openly express their feelings at losing someone close to them. He hoped that the ceremony could provide an important outlet for students and staff.