UCDVO Pancake Tuesday fundraiser today

UCD Volunteers Overseas (UCDVO) will be running a charity fundraiser today, 16th February, in Café Brava inside the Student Centre to celebrate Pancake Tuesday. All proceeds raised will go to the Haiti earthquake emergency appeals, Saint Vincent de Paul projects, and other charities.

UCDVO officers will be stationed throughout campus during the day, selling tokens for the event at a cost of €2. These tickets can then be exchanged at Café Brava for a pancake, accompanied with a choice of tea or coffee.

UCDVO’s Events Officer, Brian Deeney, has high hopes for the success of the event, stating that “if we sell a thousand pancakes we’ll be raising €2,000, which is our target. Last year we ran a similar event and we raised, I think, €1,600 – so this year we’re definitely hoping to top that.”

The UCDVO’s Pancake Tuesday fundraising efforts will not cease after pancake sales finish. Deeney told The University Observer that “Copperface Jacks has agreed to give us the proceeds from their door on Tuesday night, and that’s going towards the earthquake fund. They’ll cover their own costs for the first six hundred tickets and then anything beyond six hundred tickets will be given to us as a donation.”

Deeney also shared details regarding the upcoming UCDVO day, which is scheduled for Thursday 25th March. On the day, fundraisers will be collecting in the centre of town, and also be on the Stillorgan dual carriageway to meet the morning’s traffic. Various events will take place on campus throughout the day, ranging from sporting competitions to carnival games. It is also intended to round the day off with a nightclub event.

Deeney was quick to praise the independent fundraising efforts of UCD students and estimated that, to date, over €70,000 has been raised by the UCDVO for the Haiti earthquake emergency appeals. Denney also explained that much of this figure has been raised independently of UCDVO, revealing that “students on campus have been very good about going off and organising their own events that we have no idea about, and then they just come back with a cheque.”

Deeney then stated that he had been “stunned at the generosity of people” and wished to “thank the students for supporting us and making it a little bit easier.”