UCDSVP, L&H and Amnesty UCD to organise UCD Jailbreak

Following up from their successful fundraising efforts in the first half of the academic year, UCD St. Vincent de Paul (UCDSVP) has many events planned for semester tw

The society will be partly organising the UCD Jailbreak competition along with the L&H and Amnesty UCD.

UCD Jailbreak is a competition that will see contestants set a challenge of travelling as far as they can without spending any of their own money, while also collecting funds for charity on their travels.

Students who want to take part in UCD Jailbreak need to pay a fee of €30 by the January 24th and can find more details about the event on the UCD Jailbreak Facebook page.

In the run up to Christmas the UCDSVP continued their fundraising efforts and ran a “Generosi-tree” Campaign, which according to the UCDSVP Auditor, Clare Cryan, “yielded a huge response.” The campaign involved students buying Christmas gifts for children in Dublin and was very successful.

UCDSVP also collaborated with the Erasmus Student Network (ESN) during the Christmas break to raise further funds for the charity. Before Christmas, ESN hosted a charity collection that exchange students could donate their belongings they weren’t bringing home once their time in UCD was up.

ESN received a great response to the drive as clothing, bedding, blankets, pillows, food, books, stationery and kitchen utensils were donated and then sold on to incoming exchange students at over the holidays.

The sale generated €1,545 over the course of two days, with all donated goods selling out.

Upcoming events UCDSVP are organising include Valentine de Paul on the February 14th, where love songs will be played in various locations around campus along with the sale of red roses.

On April 11th, 70 people will take to the skies for the charity Sky Dive that is being run in association with the ArtSoc and will help to fund SVP’s activities for the year.

In semester one of this year, the society raised in excess of €5,000, but also gathered a collection of clothes during Homeless Week, which were then distributed on one of their soup runs.

The clothes drive saw a huge donation of much needed hats, scarfs, gloves, sleeping bags and jackets. During the same week the society raised awareness by hosting lectures by Alice Leahy and Fr. Peter McVerry.