UCDSVP Homeless Week raises in the region of €5,000

UCDSVP Homeless Week took place over the course of the week beginning November 15th, with a number of society members setting up camp outside the library for the duration of the campaign.

The total amount raised is yet to be confirmed, although UCDSVP Public Relations Officer Eoin Lyons explained: “It’s looking like it’s going to be about €5,000.”

Last year, Homeless Week raised €5,500, but Lyons insisted: “That doesn’t necessarily mean that it wasn’t a success. There were more events on, so more awareness was raised because it’s not just about money.”

In addition to the sleep out in front of the James Joyce library, a soccer tournament and a Battle of the Buskers competition were also organised.

The Battle of the Buskers competition was held in the Student Bar and was open to everyone who had busked during the week. Six acts competed in the final and Lyons said, “there was a really fantastic standard. A winner was picked from that and they got tickets to the UCD Christmas Ball and some recording time. It was a really good prize.”

The soccer tournament was open to everyone and participation exceeded expectations, with 20 teams turning up.

Lyons commented on the number involved in the sleep out: “The max number we got was 80 the last day. The average would have been about 30 for the other three days, but that was our aim in the first place to get as many people as we could for the last day.”

Students from other third-level institutions, including Trinity, Maynooth and DIT, joined UCD students on the last night of the sleep out. “There was loads of singing going on. There was card games some of the nights. There was chat and whatnot. We had a quote wall as well, which was fun.”

Funds collected during Homeless Week will go towards UCDSVP’s activities for the homeless. Lyons said that funds would go into “a back lane charity which is like a club where people go to play darts or pool and it’s just something to keep them busy. It’s like a youth club but for every age. The money will also go into the soup runs that we do four nights a week to buy bread and soup.”