UCD students awarded 12 NUI awards

The 2012 NUI Awards were held on the Wednesday November 7th at the Royal Hospital Kilmainham. Dr Maurice Manning presented Awards and Scholarships valued at over €1 million to graduates and students of National Universities in Ireland. UCD were awarded 12 awards in a range of areas from rural development to French.

This year continues UCD’s strong representation at the NUI Awards, as the University was represented in the categories of Irish Historical Research Prize, NUI Travelling Studentships in the Humanities and the Social Sciences, Pierce Malone Scholarship in Philosophy, The French Government Medal and NUI Prize for Proficiency in French and The Dr Henry Hutchinson Stewart Medical Scholarships and Prizes, among others.

UCD Students’ Union Education Officer Shane Comer stated in relation to UCD’s performance: “I think it went well for UCD, and I am delighted to hear about the wins that we had. It was a testament to the quality that we have in UCD.”

Dr Manning stated in relation to the awards: “We regard our awards as an investment in academic excellence and we are very confident that this investment will pay handsome dividends not just for the individuals concerned. There will also we hope be lasting benefits for Ireland, for our society, our culture and our economy”.

When speaking at the event and in particular addressing those nominated and winners, Dr Manning congratulated those who were awarded the prizes, and introduced the inaugural NUI Dr Garret FitzGerald Post-Doctoral Fellowships, named in honour of former Taoiseach and UCD graduate, Garret Fitzgerald: “I am particularly pleased that for the first time we are awarding the NUI Dr Garret FitzGerald Post-Doctoral Fellowships, in honour of our late great Chancellor. As Chancellor, Garret greatly enjoyed this ceremony as an endorsement of so much that he valued: intellectual challenge and rigour, and the opportunity to meet the brightest minds of the rising generation.”

115 awards were presented this year of which included the 5 NUI Post-Doctoral Fellowships, the E J Phelan Fellowship in International Law, the NUI Travelling Studentships, Dr HH Stewart Medical and Literary Scholarships, and the NUI NCAD Art and Design Prize for an artist’s book and prints entitled, ‘Albert, Ernest and the Titanic’ depicting the story of the two printers working onboard the Titanic.

At this year’s award ceremony, over 100 students and graduates from the constituent universities and recognised colleges of the federal university received awards. UCD, UCC, NUI Maynooth, NUI Galway, RCSI, St Angela’s College and NCAD were represented in the award winners in a wide variety of subjects.

List of UCD Winners

• Dr Mark Empey  – NUI Dr Garret FitzGerald Post-Doctoral Fellowship in the Humanities (graduate of UCD, he will will take up Fellowship in NUI Maynooth)
  • Dr John Healy – NUI Post -Doctoral Fellowship in the Sciences (a graduate of UCD, he will take up the Fellowship in NUI Maynooth)
  • Dr Meriel McClatchie – NUI Dr Garret FitzGerald Post-Doctoral Fellowship in the Humanities (a graduate of UCC, she will take up the Fellowship in UCD)
  • Dr Bettina Schaible – NUI Post – Doctoral Fellowship in the Sciences (will take up Fellowship in the Conway Institute, UCD)
  • John Reynolds – E J Phelan Fellowship in International Law
  • Rónán MacDubhghaill – NUI Travelling Studentship in the Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Darren O’Byrne – NUI Travelling Studentship in the Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Anthony Fitzpatrick – NUI Travelling Studentships in the Sciences
  • Dylan Connor – NUI Denis Phelan Scholarship in the Humanities and Social Sciences
  • Richard Teague – Pierce Malone Scholarship in Philosophy
  •  Rowan Lacey – French Government Medal and NUI Prize for Proficiency in French
  • Geraldine Cawley – NUI Scholarship in Rural Development