UCD student wins Undergraduate Award

Aidan Connolly has secured an Undergraduate Award for his academic contributions to International Relations and Politics. The UCD Alumni was awarded the prize for his essay on the Anglo-Irish Agreement, titled ‘Outline and explain the political effects of the 1985 Anglo-Irish Agreement.’

Talking about the awards, UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) President Mícheál Gallagher commended the achievements of all students who were in contention and also stressed what an achievement it is to even be considered for such an honour.

“The Undergraduate Awards are a highly prestigious accolade. We would like to congratulate all students from UCD on being selected in the highly commended category.

“The standard is extremely high and we feel that UCD’s high number of students selected in this category across the disciplines reflects strongly the calibre of students in UCD.”

While UCD claimed many commended spots, a single overall win represents a decrease from three awards in 2012, but is in line with the solitary award garnered in 2011.

The Undergraduate Awards are an international academic awards programme that celebrates and supports undergraduate students by recognising their best coursework and projects.

The programme, which commenced in 2009, has been under the patronage of President of Ireland, Michael D. Higgins, since February 2012. Penultimate and final year students on a degree course are open to put themselves forward for the awards, with each participant allowed to submit up to three pieces of research or project work.

Two winners are selected in each category; one from Ireland and one from overseas. The categories are wide ranging and allow students from many schools within UCD to apply and be in with the chance of winning an award. They are available in Agricultural & Environmental Sciences, Business & Economics, Computer Science & Information Technology, Irish Language, Law, Nursing and Midwifery, Social Sciences, Teacher Education and Visual Arts, among many others.

Trinity College Dublin (TCD), garnered six awards overall while the National University of Ireland Galway (NUIG) received three awards. This year, the Undergraduate Awards received 3,771 submissions in total from 184 academic institutions located in 26 countries.

Deadlines for entering coursework for the 2013/14 academic year are yet to be released, but usually coincide with the end of the Irish academic calander.