UCD Student Legal Convention set to return for 2nd year

UCD Student Legal Service (UCD SLS) will host its second annual Student Legal Convention on Thursday, February 12th, in both the Fitzgerald Chamber in the Student Centre and the Sutherland School of Law. The Convention gathers leading professionals together for a day of debate and discussion on a variety of legal issues.

Barry O’Fiacháin, Chairperson of the SLS, described the event as “enabling students to have a voice in shaping the future of law.” He said that the SLS aims to have more student involvement in this year’s event, while confirming that Dr John Bowman, historian and RTE broadcaster, will chair the Convention. Bowman will be tasked with encouraging student engagement, in a change to last year’s series of rigid speeches.

Confirmed guests include Mark Redmond, Chief Executive of the American Chamber of Commerce, Claire Loftus, the Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Senator Ivana Bacik, and John Lonergan, the former governor of Mountjoy Prison.

O’Fiacháin said he was looking forward to the appearance of  Kevin O’Malley, the current United States Ambassador to Ireland, who has a background of practising law in the US. He also praised the efforts of the SLS committee, who have been planning the event since last June, in an effort to surpass the achievement of the 2014 Convention, which was awarded UCD Event of the Year.

UCD SLS was set up in 2006 to provide the students of UCD with accurate information regarding their legal rights and entitlements. It hosts weekly information clinics in the Student Centre, where students can avail of legal information on issues that may concern them.

Tickets for the day-long Student Legal Convention are available online for €10 on studentlegalconvention.ie. Alternatively, tickets are also on sale in the atrium of the Sutherland School of Law, up until the start of the event.