UCD student attacked in Chicago contracts hospital superbug

A UCD graduate who was recovering from an attack made with a baseball bat in April 2010 has reportedly contracted a hospital superbug.

Natasha McShane, 23, from Silverbridge, Co. Armagh, and a friend were viciously beaten with a baseball bat in Chicago last April while walking home from a night out.

McShane, a UCD graduate, is understood to have been making a good recovery but that the contraction of the superbug had impeded that. She contracted the superbug after having brain surgery performed before Christmas.

Having been in a coma for weeks following the attack, in June 2010 McShane’s family reported that she was in the process of recovery and that she had had enough rehabilitation therapy to help her walk again.

However, it is the understanding of The University Observer at the time that her recovery has been reversed. An article published on thejournal.ie said: “A family member has told the Irish Daily Mail that the recovery McShane made through her rehabilitation treatment has now been reversed by the infection. They said that the improvements she had made “can no longer be seen.”

McShane was completing a Masters degree in Urban Planning at the University of Illinois when the attack happened. She had planned to travel around the United States before returning to her home in Northern Ireland. She initially began her recovery in the Rehabilitation Institute of Chicago before returning to Northern Ireland in July 2010.

US police used mobile phone and credit card records in the aftermath of the attack to charge two American women with the attack on McShane and her friend, Stacey Jurich. The two women accused, Heriberto Viarmontes, 30, and Marcy Cruz, 25, both deny any charges pressed on them in relation to the attack.

In June 2010, McShane’s parents issued a statement in which they said: “we are mindful that the road ahead of her will be long and hard. Nevertheless we are extremely hopeful that we will eventually get our beautiful daughter back to a place where she will be able to lead a full, meaningful and independent life.” Following the contraction of the hospital superbug before Christmas, this now hangs in the pipeline.

McShane is understood to be undergoing more surgery next month to have a plate inserted in her skull. Her family say that the improvements made thus far as now “hardly visible” as a result of the superbug contraction.