UCD spin-outs nominated for innovation awards

Three UCD spin-out companies have been shortlisted among the 18 companies for the Irish Times InterTradeIreland Innovation Awards. APC Ltd, Equilume Ltd and OxyMem Ltd are three companies that have been supported by NovaUCD , the UCD centre for new ventures and entrepreneurs.

The 18 companies come from all over Ireland, both in the North and the Republic, and has included innovations as diverse as drug delivery systems to anti-allergy pillows. The Irish Times InterTradeIreland Innvoation Awards celebrates excellence in innovation and is now in its fifth year.

Professor Peter Clinch, Vice-President of Innovation in UCD said that he is “delighted” for the shortlisted companies saying that they are “commercialising UCD research outputs” and that one of UCD’s key innovation aims is to “support new high-tech and innovative businesses which have global impact.”

APC Ltd is a spin-out from UCD’s School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering. Based on over 15 years of research, it was co-founded by Professor Brian Glennon and Dr Mark Barrett in 2011. It provides chemical engineering solutions and technologies to pharmaceutical companies, both large and small, to ensure the delivery of robust and scale-independent processes.

The company was the winner of the NovaUCD 2011 Campus Company Development Programme and won the NovaUCD 2011 Start-up Company of the Year Award. Dr Barret said that it was a “great honour” to be shortlisted and notes that it’s “recognition of the fantastic dedication of our team.” It is shortlisted in the Biosciences category along with fellow UCD spin-out, Equilume.

Equilume Ltd was set-up in 2012 and has since developed a light therapy solution in assisting global thoroughbred breeders in their aim to maximise the reproductive efficiency and performance in horses.

The extensive research was carried out by company founder, Dr Barbara Murphy, in UCD’s School of Agriculture and Food Science in collaboration with Professor John Sheridan, an optoelectronics researcher in UCD’s School of Electrical, Electronic and Communications Engineering.

The company is fast building a profile, having won the 2012 Enterprise Ireland ‘One to Watch’ Award and the 2012 Newbridge 200 Business Start-up competition. It is also a finalist for the 2013 Trophées de l’Innovation du Salon de Cheval du Paris.

OxyMem Ltd is a spin-out from UCD’s School of Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering and was co-founded in 2013 by Professor Éoin Casey and Dr Éoin Syron. It has focused on developing technology for wastewater aeration.

Last year, OxyMem won a 2013 Irish Laboratory Award, Innovation of the Year Award. CEO Wayne Byrne said that they are “incredibly proud” to have been shortlisted for this year’s competition and are shortlisted in the Energy and Environment category.

The category winners and overall winner will be announced at an awards ceremony on the 9th April 2014.