UCD scholars excel in international award program

Ten UCD students and staff have been given the chance to spend an academic year in the US; either studying, researching or teaching, after winning a full scholarship at the Irish 2010-2011 Fulbright Awards.

Among the UCD recipients was Dr. Emilie Pine of the UCD School of English, Drama and Film. Dr Pine has chosen to continue her Irish Studies at the University of Berkeley, California, for the next twelve months. In her research she aims “to highlight the role of both Irish emigrants and Irish culture on the west coast of the States” while developing her knowledge of American culture at the same time.

Dr Pine told The University Observer that securing a scholarship like this in UCD is becoming increasingly difficult.

“A semester of research and teaching in Berkeley would otherwise be impossible for me at this point in my career, so the Fulbright is a beacon of opportunity. I would encourage students and graduates to think about how they might use the Fulbright awards as a way into a new context, and a way to enhance their research abilities and profile.”

Dr Pine added: “It is a real privilege to be given the opportunity to work and teach in Berkeley and I hope to bring elements of UCD to that institution and to use the experience to enrich my research and teaching on my return.”

Senator J. William Fulbright established the Fulbright Program in post-war America in order to give academics an opportunity to further their education abroad while strengthening relations between the United States and other countries.  Since its introduction in 1946, 300,000 students, teachers, artists and scientists in over 155 universities worldwide have been chosen to participate in the program.

The Fulbright Commission in Ireland is responsible for the allocation of 23 scholarships, which are awarded for academic excellence in all disciplines, including Arts and Humanities, Business, Law and Science. The Award entitles its recipient to spend six to twelve months in the US on a $25,000 scholarship, also covering insurance and J-1 visa costs.

Previous recipients of the Fulbright awards include Sylvia Plath, film writer Alexander Graf Lambsdorff and director Christian Fillipella, as well as 40 Nobel Prize winners.

The 2011-2012 Fulbright Awards will be accepting applications until November 30th this year.

Other UCD recipients include Paul Alexander, Michael Casey, David Comerford, Dr. Katherine Curran, Ian Hastings, Siobhán Murnane and Ronan McGovern.