UCD Professor takes on new chief academic role at Universitas 21

PROFESSOR Bairbre Redmond (above), the former Deputy Registrar of UCD Teaching and Learning, has been appointed the inaugural Provost of the Universitas 21 (U21) programme.

Redmond’s experience with U21, a worldwide network of 25 research-intensive universities, dates back a number of years. She has served as UCD’s representative to the network since 2007 and since 2012, as the Chairperson of the organisation’s Educational Innovation projects.

As the first Provost of U21, Redmond hopes to engage students within the network on a more global scale. According to her, UCD already benefits greatly from being a member of the programme.

“UCD joined U21 in 2007, and since that time the university has been very engaged in the work of the network,” said Redmond.

“As well as education and research links U21 has given us important extra student exchange opportunities to places like the Universities of Melbourne, Queensland, Connecticut, Maryland, Hong Kong, British Columbia, South Wales and the National University of Singapore.”

Redmond began her tenure as Provost of Universitas 21 on October 3rd, 2016. Her first major public appearance in the role will come at the 3rd annual Times Higher Education BRICS and Emerging Economies Universities Summit, held in Johannesburg at the end of next month, where she has been invited to speak on “the place of global networks in reimagining the future university”.

In the past, as well as serving as Deputy Registrar, Redmond has held positions including Dean of Social Science and Associate Professor of Higher Education. She formally left her role at UCD on September 30, 2016 – although she will be seconded into her new position with U21 by the university, meaning she will continue to work from the Belfield campus.