UCD Med Day fundraises for multiple charities

The annual UCD Med Day took place last Thursday, October 14th. The event was organised by the UCD Medical Society and many activities were held both on and off-campus.

A city-wide street collection was held in the morning. UCD MedSoc Auditor, Mark Murphy, confirmed that in the run up to Med Day over 700 people had volunteered to participate in collections.

Following the collections, an international breakfast was held at the back of the Health Science Building for collectors. Murphy told The University Observer of plans for one hundred Malaysian breakfasts, one hundred breakfast rolls and of attempts to get a crepe van to visit the event.

Murphy explained of his intentions to bring an international element to the event: “We’re hoping to diversify it a bit, stepping away from just being in the student bar all day and working it almost as a second event. It’s hopefully going to be bigger and better than ever before.”

This year, MedSoc is fundraising for three main charities: Cardiac Risk in the Young, the Cystic Fibrosis Association of Ireland and the Action Breast Cancer Appeal by the Irish Cancer Society. Donations will also go to the two teaching hospitals, St Vincent’s Hospital, and the Mater Foundation. A portion of the collections will also go to the Student Welfare Fund.

This year’s events were sponsored by Bank of Ireland, the Montrose Student Store, the Medical Protection Society and Promed – a medical supplies company and a new sponsor of UCD Med Day. The Students’ Union also donated a small amount to the making of Med Day t-shirts.

The pompom dance in the city centre is a Med Day tradition which was instrumental in raising funds. “The guys dress up as girls and they do a dance on Grafton Street and through the town,” explained Murphy.

Med Day last year raised over €43,000, of which one hundred per cent went to charity.

Despite the intentions of the auditor, the Student Bar was the focus of much of the entertainment, with MedSoc members being charged €2 for admission. Entertainment features included inflatable bouncing castles, a rodeo machine and sumo suits. A silent disco and a talent competition were also held.

At the time of going to press, the total amount of funds raised by Med Day had yet to be calculated.