UCD masters programme tops Financial Times rankings

The Community of European Management Schools (CEMS) Masters in International Management programme, co-administered by UCD’s Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School, has been ranked first place on a list published recently by the Financial Times.

The programme is offered by a global alliance of business schools, of which UCD is the sole Irish representative. The course has been placed second and third place on several previous occasions; however this is the first time that the programme has garnered the top accolade in the Financial Times list. Leading business schools are ranked in accordance with their proficiency in various areas, including the course’s “internationality”, and the average salary of graduates. The news comes just as UCD has broken the top 100 universities in the world according to the Times Higher Education supplement.

The CEMS programme, which was founded in 1988, has been utilised by UCD along with 27 other global academic institutions working in conjunction with 57 corporate partners. The course offers students “a unique blend of high quality education and professional experience.” According to the CEMS website, enrolment is open to students who are adept in three languages and “display high academic standards.”

27 students of nine different nationalities are currently undertaking the MBA course in the Michael Smurfit Business School, which is accepting applications for the 2010-11 academic year from now until next spring.

Speaking in reaction to the programme’s reception of this recognition, a student from the course told The University Observer that she was “not really surprised” upon hearing the news. “It’s a really good programme, but obviously we were all really happy,” she said.

Aside from the academic curriculum, students partaking in the programme from UCD are required to attend seminars given by representatives of various Irish corporate partners, and also travel to different countries in Europe participating in a series of CEMS seminars.

The students on the course also traditionally engage in humanitarian projects by taking part in the ‘Schools for Africa’ UNICEF programme. “That was triggered by CEMS, the Cork UNICEF Project and schools in Africa, and the CEMS club are encouraged to participate, so we are raising funds for Africa for our project,” said the student. “It’s always great to give something back and to help out.”

The student added that her experience of the course has been a positive one thus far and recommended it to anyone aiming for a career in business.“If you’re in it, you have to work hard, but at the same time, it’s great fun. It’s great because you get to make friends with people from all over the world.”