UCD Maintains World University Ranking

The QS World University Rankings were released earlier this week. UCD was placed at 139, maintaining its ranking from 2013. The university’s score on citations per faculty and employer reputation increased, however the student-to-faculty ratio of the university has experienced an increase on last year’s marking.

UCD has been ranked as the number one university among employers in Ireland, and was also commended for maintaining its position despite budget cuts.

Dr Andrew Deeks, President of UCD, commented on the ranking, saying “this is a clear reflection on the calibre and commitment of faculty across the entire university.” In regards to the student-to-faculty ratio, Deeks sees it as cause “for great concern” saying it “confirms the need for the mechanism and level of funding of the Irish university to be reviewed”.

As part of the QS World University Rankings universities are ranked on six metrics. Thes include academic reputation weighted at 40%, student-to-faculty ratio and citations per faculty both at 20% and employer reputation at 10%.

In this year’s QS World University Rankings, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (M.I.T.) was ranked number one for the third consecutive year. While M.I.T maintained its standing in the rankings, most Irish universities saw theirs fall this year. Trinity saw a fall of ten places from 61 to 71; UCC saw a drop from 210 to 230; DCU went from 349 to 366. NUI Galway broke the trend however with an increase from 284 to 280.

Commenting on the results and UCD’s overall performance in the QS World University Rankings Feargal Hynes, UCDSU President, said that considering other Irish universities movement down that ‘it is a strong result for UCD’ to hold their place for 2014.

However Hynes did raise concerns about Irish universities in general and their slipping in this years rankings saying ‘The downward movement of Irish Universities in general is a further indication that our current funding model is not sustainable and that we need to further review the ECF to enable schools and faculties to have the adequate amount of staff to engage students to the appropriate level”.