UCD Fashion Show to return next year

The UCD Fashion show is to return in November 2010 after a two-year absence. Although no definite dates have yet been set, the Students’ Union’s Arts Programme Officer Jonny Cosgrove and Ents Officer Mike Pat O’Donoghue have announced that they plan to run the event next year.

The event, which has previously been Europe’s largest student fashion event, has not taken place for the past two years due to a lack of funding – despite a large number of students having expressed interest in contributing to the show.

Cosgrove told The University Observer that outside agents had been involved with some of the more recent shows, including the most recently organised show, held in aid of the Down Syndrome Centre, in 2008. As a result, UCD students were essentially “co-opted in to be involved.”

A meeting is to be held tomorrow, Wednesday 17th February, with the aim of forming an organising committee and offering all interested parties a chance to become involved in the project. Cosgrove said he hoped that a committee could begin to form extensive plans for a “bigger and better” November show without the academic commitments of the committee’s members being compromised.

Though the event was previously known as the UCD Arts Fashion Show, Cosgrove was quick to dispel notions of the event being restricted to the involvement of Arts students only, and appealed to students from all disciplines to get involved, should they wish to. Cosgrove hopes that with innovative ideas and new perspectives the UCD Fashion Show can once again become what he felt was the university’s highlight event of the year.

While no definite plans will be made until a committee is formed after Wednesday’s meeting, fundraising tactics such as bag-packing and morning collections are likely to be repeated owing to their past success.

With young designer competitions seeing continued success in DIT and DCU, organisers plan to allow submissions from design talent in UCD as well as from designers studying fashion at other institutions. High-street stores will also be featured in the show. Models will be sourced exclusively from among the UCD student body. Cosgrove is hopeful that a modelling contract will be secured for the best male and female models of the 2010 show.

Tomorrow’s meeting takes place at 1pm in the Astra Hall, Student Centre. Those who are interested in getting involved are asked to email fashionshow@ucdents.com.