UCD Ents turns a profit

The UCD Students’ Union (UCDSU) Entertainments Office has turned a profit of €26,000 for the year ending the 31st of December.

This surplus will be, in part, utilised to make the UCD Ball “bigger and better,” said UCDSU President Mícheál Gallagher. More information for the UCD Ball will be available soon, which has traditionally been held on the last day of semester two.

In recent years, the UCD Ball has been a controversial topic, as threats of the Ball’s cancellation due to police objections about the difficulty of UCD as a location surfacing year-after-year. As a compromise, last year’s UCD Ball was held in the O2, formerly known as the Point.

Gallagher puts a large portion of the success of Ents thus far on the shoulders of Entertainments Manager, Paul Killgillon, who stepped into the newly created position with last September.

The move to appoint an Entertainments Manager came after a decision was made in the middle of semester two of last year to remove Ents and Campaigns as individual UCDSU sabbatical positions. The decision was made in order to make the Entertainments Office of UCDSU a more professional and streamlined operation.

Gallagher has said he hopes to ensure that the Union maintains a “dedication to all types of entertainment” with comedy gigs and other non-alcohol based events also being planned for semester two.

Comedian Neil Delamere will return to the Astra Hall for the second year in a row for a gig in mid-February, while the hall will also be used for electro act Duke Dumont on the January 30th, with tickets on sale now.

The variety of activities organised by UCD Ents was something that was also seen last semester with events also ranging from the Halloween Freak Show fancy dress ball to the formal Domino’s Ball earlier in the year. The Fresher’s Ball was also a popular event at the beginning of the semester, which contributed to UCD Ents turning a profit at the end of last year.