UCD Choral Scholars To Hold Second Round of Auditions

The UCD Chorals Scholars have announced they are to hold a second round of auditions for six scholarships which still remain available to students, following the first round of auditions held earlier this semester.

The first round of auditions resulted in the twelve scholarships being awarded, leaving six scholarships still available. The second round, for the final places, was launched by Artistic Director, Dr. Desmond Earley. Earley told the Observer that they wanted “to give more students a chance to apply for a UCD Choral scholarship.”

Each year the UCD School of Music awards approximately fifty scholarships to student musicians. Of these some go to members of the UCD Symphony Orchestra, the smallest number are awarded through the UCD Ad Astra Academy, and 18 to the Choral Scholars, UCD’s chamber choir. The Choral Scholars represent the university at official events, from television to radio to playing at Electric Picnic.

There’s an open rehearsal at 6pm on Monday, 6th October, in Memorial Hall, Richview, for those interested to hear the voices so far. The rehearsal is open to all registered students, each candidate is asked to choose a song of their choice plus preparation of a set piece. The closing date for applications for the second round is Wednesday, 8th October at 5pm.

In March 2014, the ensemble toured the east-coast of America for ten days and were invited to perform a number of high-profile concerts and functions including a full concert at St Patrick’s Cathedral in New York City.