UCD Ball set to be held in the O2

— Full line-up to be announced on March 23rd

— On-campus event deemed “unsafe” due to previous years

UCD Students’ Union (SU) President, Mícheál Gallagher, has confirmed to the University Observer that this year’s UCD Ball will be staged in the O2 on Friday, April 25th, the last day of the semester two.

The 2013 Ball was the first of its kind to be held off campus, at the O2 venue, and this announcement from Gallagher answers any speculation that was surrounding the whereabouts of the end of year event.

Speaking to the University Observer, Gallagher explained the numerous benefits of hosting the event in the O2, saying, “It has been evident in the last few years that the event has become unsafe on campus, we need to prove to all stake holders that our primary concern is for the safety of students.”

Issues including student behaviour and alcohol consumption had previously marred the event when it was held on campus, while no such problems arose when it was held in the O2. “By having a well run, safe and enjoyable event in the O2 it will increase the likelihood that the event will return to campus in the future.”

Last year, Gardaí sent notice in the form of a written objection to UCDSU over its plans to seek an alcohol licence for staging the ball in UCD.

Gallagher additionally revealed that the cost of hiring the O2 has worked out to be cheaper than staging it on campus. He highlighted how the savings being made on venue hire has allowed for an increase in the “talent budget,” while maintaining the same overall budget as previous years.

The UCD Ball has been a constant loss leader for UCDSU in recent years, but Gallagher is optimistic that their conservative estimate of breaking even for this event will be achieved, without the need for resorting to cutbacks.

The UCD Ball has been a strong tradition of UCDSU and Gallagher is looking forward to the event, which he views as being “one of the biggest sources of union engagement with our members.” The event generally attracts over 5,000 attendees and is touted as being Europe’s largest private party.

The full line-up of acts for the Ball will be announced by UCDSU on Sunday, March 23rd at 7pm. Previously, the event has been headlined by international artists like The Saturdays and Professor Green, while last year’s headline artist was Dutch DJ Chuckie.

Tickets for the UCD Ball 2014 will cost €40. In comparison, tickets for the Trinity Ball, which recently went on sale, are sold at a price of €80 per ticket.