UCD Ball cancellation not 'a result of unconfirmed headline acts', SU claim [Updated]

The Students’ Union have rejected claims that the UCD Ball was cancelled due to a lack of headline acts, saying that as a part of their promotion strategy, the headliners would have been revealed this week.

A statement by the SU, which was released earlier today, said that “as the university would not close the campus at 1pm despite their previous commitment to doing so [sic], the licence for UCD Ball 2011 was therefore null and void meaning the event is not legally allowed to proceed.”

An amendment to the event licence was proposed to allow the UCD Ball to proceed but was rejected by the Gardaí on health and safety grounds. Other solutions such as holding the event either with a smaller capacity or off-campus were also rejected

The statement added: “UCD SU inserted a stipulation into the contract between UCDSU and all acts that the contract could be terminated by UCD SU if the SU was unable to gain the necessary legal approval for the Ball.”

The SU have launched an online petition today (Monday April 4th) entitled ‘Save Our Ball’ (http://www.SaveOurBall.com) in an attempt to convince the university to reverse their decision.

University officials have yet to comment on the cancellation.