The Trap to re-open in Student Centre

The pool and snooker room known as The Trap, is set to reopen in the old Student Centre in the site vacated by Procare Pharmacy.

The Trap was closed in September 2011 to be used as a facility for the Ad Astra scholarship scheme. At the time of it’s closure, the pool tables and other games were bringing in over €10,000 a year for the Students’ Union.

Student Centre Manager and Project Co-ordinator Dominic O’Keeffe said: “Procare Pharmacy is moving across to the new unit within the next three weeks as we await certification from the Pharmacy regulator. The space being vacated by the pharmacy will be converted to a pool and games area, as was previously located in The Trap.”

The designated unit for the pharmacy has been fitted out over the past two weeks. Work has almost reached completion this week, with shelves, cash registers and signage all in place.

In addition to the pharmacy, other commercial outlets currently located in the old Student Centre, including the Students’ Union ‘Kiosk’ shop, will be moving to the new building, where they will be joined by new food and retail units. “The students unit are developing up the shop space with tenders back on Friday last for the works to be done. The Procurement Office are handling the tender for the cafe operation, with tenders due back September end so the new unit will open mid to end October,” said O’Keeffe.

UCDSU President Rachel Breslin expressed her hopes for the new Students’ Union shop.
“Yeah, it’s brilliant to be part of the new Student Centre and it’s going to be a hub of student activity. It’s a bigger premises, it’s a new premises and with the cinema and the drama theatre, we’re looking to supply products to students for going to those and I’m very hopeful. I look forward to it. It’s being fitted out over the next few weeks.”