The Saturdays to headline UCD Ball

British pop band The Saturdays will be the headline act for the UCD Ball’s main stage. The headline act for the dance stage will be Calvin Harris, who will be performing a DJ set.

UCD Students’ Union Entertainments Vice-President Mike Pat O’Donoghue stated that the securing of The Saturdays came after “a lot of hard work and effort” from both himself and the Ents team. He has called The Saturdays “the biggest act we’ve ever had out here, along with Calvin Harris.”

Other acts confirmed are LA pop band Iglu & Hartly, who played last year’s UCD Ball, X Factor stars Jedward, UCD Musical Society’s Glee Club and Irish band Picturehouse, who O’Donoghue says are “pretty much getting back together to play the gig.” In addition, dance acts The Subs, Mixhell, Japanese Popstars and Hystereo will be playing live sets at the event.

There will be ten acts playing the main stage and seven on the dance stage. In addition, there will be a headphone disco, which O’Donoghue is calling a “virtual third stage.” Carnival rides will also be at the UCD Ball, which is Europe’s biggest private party with a capacity of 8,000.

O’Donoghue feels that the UCD Ball will better the Trinity Ball, whose tickets are over double the price of the UCD Ball’s. He feels that “singles wise, The Saturdays have probably outsold Dizzee Rascal,” and that “the UCD Ball is superior to the Trinity Ball.”

The UCD Ball is expected to open its gates around 2pm on 23rd April. The dance stage is expected to finish at 10.30pm with the main stage finishing about an hour afterward due to sound curfews. Ticketholders must be in the festival area by 5pm and tickets cannot be photocopied and resold as the barcode on the tickets can only be used once. UCD Ents will also be running a taxi and bus service that will help students get home after the event.

According to O’Donoghue, the final batch of 1500 tickets is now available, and can be bought from SU shops. Tickets are priced at €35.