TEDxUCD date announced

TEDxUCD have announced that this year’s event will take place on Saturday June 14th, with UCD graduate and Emmy award-winning war correspondent Terry McCarthy confirmed as a speaker.

Similar to all independently run TEDx events, UCD’s version is devoted to spreading ideas, usually in the form of short, powerful talks. A spokesperson for the event has described it as “an opportunity to explore and showcase the breadth and depth of ideas worth spreading from members of the wider UCD community including researchers, students and alumni.”

Innovation Education Manager at Nova UCD, Caroline Gill, will run the event again following on from the success of last year. The spokesperson for TEDxUCD explained that they feel the demand is there for another event. “Given the success of last year’s event and the extremely positive feedback we received we decided to host another event this year.”

Last year’s talks focused on the theme of foresight and predicting what will happen or be needed in the future. Speakers were asked to speak on a topic that is close to their hearts and to select a one-word title that encapsulates their foresight talks. The audience heard some powerful talks on various topics such as, thoughtfulness, hunger, sleep, courage, consequence, and generosity.

A spokesperson for TEDxUCD also expressed their enthusiasm for undergraduate student involvement in these events and emphasised the importance of involvement from all levels of academic life. “Last year a total of four UCD students took part in TEDxUCD and delivered a series of excellent talks.”

They have also confirmed that Emmy award-winning war correspondent, Terry McCarthy, a UCD graduate who is currently President and CEO of the Los Angeles World Affairs Council, will be a TEDxUCD 2014 speaker. Other speakers will be drawn from members of the wider UCD community.

No exact date has been set for the release of tickets for the event, but it was confirmed that 100 tickets be available free of charge in mid-May, which will be allocated on a first-come first-serve basis. Further details will be announced online at www.ucd.ie/innovation/newsevents/tedxucd/.

TED began in 1984 as a conference where Technology, Entertainment and Design converged, and today covers almost all topics; from science to business to global issues in more than 100 languages.

The organisation describes itself as a global community, welcoming people from every discipline and culture who seek a deeper understanding of the world, an ethos that TEDxUCD organisers feel they can contribute to. “We believe passionately in the power of ideas to change attitudes, lives and, ultimately, the world”.

They aim to build a clearinghouse of free knowledge from these events in order to inspire people and communities and to create a porthole for the curious minds of our world where people can communicate their ideas and engage with each other online and at the TED and TEDx events.