TCD residents to be compensated with up to €863

A NUMBER of students living in Trinity College Dublin’s (TCD) student residences will receive compensation because of disturbances caused by building work. Students living at Goldsmith Hall residences, which are located on Pearse Street, will be compensated in the form of rent reduction. The amount refunded for standard rooms on campus will amount to €863 while scholars will be refunded energy charges of €600.

The decision to refund students was due to the noise and disturbance from construction works on a new bioscience building, which has been commissioned by TCD. Some of the problems experienced were heavy noise, dust from the site and loss of daylight, all caused by the construction.

The residents, who were originally informed of the works before they moved into the accommodation, are not entitled to compensation for the building work under the Conditions of Occupancy. However, the university negotiated the refund as a goodwill gesture to students for the disturbance.

The decision to offer a refund has been welcomed by students living in Goldsmith Hall who have also experienced problems with central heating and hot water.

Students who had been granted accommodation in another campus residence, the Rubrics building, have also been asked to move into temporary accommodation on campus as building works on their rooms have yet to be completed. Students were due to move in on 1st October but are currently still living in other areas of campus, some sharing twin rooms despite paying for a single room in the Rubrics building.

A high number of residence applicants forced Trinity Hall to allocate rooms in another residence through random selection. Those who were unsuccessful in obtaining a place have been provided accommodation at the Griffith Hall of Residence.

TCD has been subject to criticism with regards to accommodation in the past as they are the only university in Ireland to charge an application fee of €15 for requesting accommodation on campus or in Trinity Hall. This fee is non-refundable to all students regardless of whether their application is successful or not.

The university defended its decision to charge the application fee stating that although the university uses an online application system, the fee was vital in funding the workload and system that is involved in the process.