Success for Dramsoc at ISDA awards

UCD’s Drama Society (DramSoc) were highly successful at the recent Irish Student Drama Association (ISDA) awards picking up ten nominations and winning four awards.

The four awards won were all from one of the society’s entries ‘A Whistle in the Dark’. Sam McGovern picked up the Best Supporting Actor award; Best Actress went to Auditor Caitriona Ennis, while the show’s director Eoghan Carrick was named Best Director. The final award won was Best Overall Production for ‘Which is Best in the Festival’.

Alongside ‘A Whistle in the Dark’, the other two shows sent were ‘Sluts’, which picked up two nominations, and ‘The Dumb Waiter’.

Secretary for DramSoc, Enda O’Reilly, explained that the ISDAs are an annual event in the form of a festival “in which colleges from around the country sent plays down to the festival for seven or eight days”.

The festival is seen as the premier student drama society awards, as it is run by “the umbrella organisation for all the drama societies in Ireland, student drama societies”. O’Reilly explained: “Each one [college] sends two or three plays. Approximately 24 to 25 shows were staged this year.

“Three judges go to every show during the festival and they pick a shortlist of nominations and the awards.”

O’Reilly said of DramSoc’s success in this year’s awards that it “proves that as one of the top drama societies in Ireland that we deserve what’s going to be built in the new Student Centre, that is, the new theatre. We think it’s for us.” While the awards are “purely for prestige”, members of DramSoc are “over the moon” at the success, especially following last year’s results, in which the society obtained five nominations but no awards.

After only obtaining five nominations at last year’s ISDAs, O’Reilly felt that this year’s society had improved and that their effort paid dividends: “We did a lot of hard work. From last year’s disappointment, we knew we needed to work harder.”

The society is looking to continue the success as “the festival is coming to UCD next year. It’s definitely something to build on and to defend and hopefully do as well as we did this year.”

The ISDAs were staged this year from March 4th to 12th in Galway, while next year’s festival will be held in UCD.