SU Exec candidates announced

UCD Students’ Union has confirmed details of the candidates for next week’s SU Executive elections. Four campaigns officers will be elected with the positions of Women’s Officer, Environmental Officer, Irish Language Officer and Postgraduate Officer up for election, while nine faculty-based Programme Officer positions are also to be filled. Almost all of the positions are set to be contested, in contrast to last month’s sabbatical elections in which three positions were uncontested.

The election for the two Arts Programme Officers sees current SU Council Secretary, Edel Ní Churraoin, face James Doyle, Rebecca O’Higgins, Micheal Gallagher and Andrew Halligan.

Current Law Society Auditor, Conor O’Hanlon, will be competing with class representative Nadine Feaheny to become Law and BBLS Programme Officer, while the elections in Business, Engineering and Architecture and Agricultural Science are uncontested with Emma Fortune, Patrick Alvarez and Cian O’Donnell unopposed in each race respectively.

SU Irish Language Officer Aoife Nic Samhráin contest the position of Health Sciences Programme Officer against Aidan Conroy, and current class reps Justin Brayden and Maggie O’Connor will compete for the position of Science Programme Officer. At the time of publication, there were no candidates put forward for the position of Veterinary Science Programme Officer.

Executive positions are also heavily contested. Sarah Ní Mhuirí and Ruairí Ó Maoilmheana will compete for the role of Irish Language Officer, while three candidates – Regina Brady, Mandy Power and Suzanne Lee – are seeking election to the position of Women’s Officer.

Four candidates are competing for the position of Environmental Officer, with Dylan Broomfield, Tracey O’Connor, Anthony McElwee and Alan Pierce all putting their names forward. In the election to the position of Postgraduate Officer, current SU Mature Students Officer Martin Lawless will face Patrick Conroy, the current chair of UCD’s branch of Fianna Fáil, the Kevin Barry Cumann.

Polling in the elections will take place across the Belfield, Blackrock and hospital buildings on 7th and 8th April.