Students develop highly detailed UCD map app

UCD students, Rong Sheng, Ma Peijie and Damilare D. Fagbemi, undertaking the Advanced Engineering Masters program in the School of Computer Science and Informatics, have developed an Android smartphone application called UCD Navigator.

The app aims to help people who are either current students or staff, or visiting the campus, who find it can be quite problematic to find their way around Ireland’s largest university campus.

UCD Navigator features searchable lists of buildings, schools, services and entrances, with walking time estimates for every destination an included feature. All you need to use the app is a GPS-enabled android mobile device.

When asked what made them decide to develop the app, Fagbemi said, “We took the Android course last semester and decided to develop an app that solved a problem. When we noticed the optional navigation project suggested by Dr Alex Ufimtsev, the lecturer, it piqued our interest. We decided to do it because we wanted to do something beneficial to all UCD student, lecturers, and visitors.”

The app offers several unique features that are not included on Apple Maps or Google Maps. There is a complete navigation functionality offline so international students and visitors do not have to incur high roaming charges while they use the app. It displays walking time to all destinations illustrated on the map with real time updates.

The developers have told the University Observer that they are already planning to add new features. In the short-term, additions include providing details concerning free and premium parking for car owners and details concerning the Dublin buses available at each UCD entrance.

Speaking about further developing the app, Fagbemi said, “[We] hope to secure some funds to support development and maintenance for our long term goals… [and] look forward to receiving suggestions on features and improvements from users.”

Their long-term aims for the app include adding an online mode where users will be able to avail themselves of real time information concerning conferences, events, sales as well as digital coupons for all UCD shops.

The app is currently available on Google play store and an iOS version is expected to be released in the near future.

Click here download the UCD Navigator app from the Google Play store