Students celebrate another successful Med Day

Med Day 2009, the UCD Medical Society’s (MedSoc) annual charity fundraiser, took place last Thursday 8th October. The annual event, which is the largest student-run charity day on campus, has raised over €200,000 for various charities over the last four years, with almost €50,000 raised last year alone. Beneficiary charities this year included the Irish Cancer Society, Cystic Fibrosis Ireland, and The Children’s Medical & Research Foundation.

Med students take to the streets on Med Day. Photo: Colin Scally

The day was organised by the MedSoc committee and all work was done voluntarily. The day began with the traditional street collection, with 600 students collecting money across the city from 7am. The collectors were from all six years of the medicine course, as well as new graduate entry students and biomedical students. MedSoc auditor Alex Richardson said that “it was great to have involvement from not just the pure medicine students, and we hope to see more of this in future.”

Numerous events were held throughout the day beginning with street collections, before the time-honoured ‘pom-pom parade’ began at noon. The male MedSoc members dressed in drag, and performed Beyoncé’s ‘All the Single Ladies’ on the streets of Dublin while fellow society members collected donations from the public.

Campus events kicked off at 2pm with the ‘Med’s Got Talent’ show held in the Student Bar. Staff members from the School of Medicine donated their time by judging the event, the standard of which is “getting better and better”, according to Richardson. The talent show was followed by a sponsored chest wax for the boys.

The society also hosted a silent disco before teaming up with UCD Ents for the evening festivities. In exchange for allowing MedSoc members to remain in the bar for the performance of the Daft Punk tribute act Daft Funk, the society agreed to make a donation to the Sudden Adult Death Syndrome (SADS) Foundation, in whose aid the gig was taking place.

Posters for the event advertised a €15 cover charge for non-collectors’ admission to the Student Bar after party, with those who helped out during the day charged €2.

The total proceeds raised by the day were not available as The University Observer went to print; Richardson reported that 51 bags of coins and six bags of notes were accrued, and that the society hoped to have the count completed by today.