Students arrested after campus vandalism

THREE UCD students were arrested by gardaí after vandalising the Dublin Bus terminal, which is situated near the Quinn School of Business, on Monday, January 19th, the first day of the second semester. It is believed that the students in question damaged the bus shelters by kicking them until they were broken.

The arrests come after the temporary cancellation of the 10 bus route from Belfield after 8.30pm by Dublin Bus, which is in addition to a number of complaints from taxi companies regarding the behaviour of students to the university.

The university has condemned the vandalism with a UCD spokesperson describing the students’ actions as “unacceptable” and “extremely disappointing”.

Discussions are currently in progress between the university and Dublin Bus in an effort to resume normal services, however the university is assured that a full evening service will only be resumed if student behaviour improves.

Defending their decision to withdraw the evening campus service, a spokesperson for Dublin Bus explained that “the safety of our staff and passengers is of utmost importance… and the temporary withdrawal of services is common practice in areas where the company experiences incidents of anti-social behaviour.”

When questioned about the vandalism, Students’ Union (SU) President, Aodhán Ó Deá said that he is disappointed by the incident and is concerned that such events will harm student services in the long term. “[There] seems to be a big difference this year compared to other years,” said Mr Ó Deá. “People [are] being rowdier than usual in bus shelters and with taxi drivers”.

Mr O’Deá lamented the costs of repairing the damage caused, saying that “the money that will be used to pay for that could have been put into better things, better services but now it’s going to have to go into doing up bus shelters again.”

Vandalism was also carried out on a number of disabled parking signs
throughout campus, while the disability access door to the Quinn School was also damaged. The university is currently assessing the full cost of the damage.

Donnybrook Garda station was contacted by The University Observer regarding the arrests however had not commented at the time of going to print.