Student Travel Card for 12/13 offers Leap Card integration

The Student Travel Card for 2012/2013 has been launched with an integrated Leap Card chip offering card-holders discounts on travel with Dublin Bus, Iarnród Éireann and Luas services.

The new card allows students purchase Student Rambler and Short Hop weekly and monthly tickets in shops across the city. While it is not currently possible to load these tickets onto the card, it is promised that this facility will be available in 2013. The card also offers a further discount on Dublin Bus adult Leap Card rates for bus journeys over 13 stages, as well as allowing students avail of cheaper rates on single journeys on the Luas, Dart and commuter trains.

UCD Students’ Union have installed the new machine capable of printing these new cards and topping them up, this week. UCDSU Education Officer Shane Comer said: “I am delighted with the development of Leap capabilities on the Student Travel Card. We’ve seen the success of the Leap Card system which has been introduced in Dublin and I can see the upgraded Student Travel Card being very successful and a huge asset for students this year.”

UCDSU Welfare Office Mícheál Gallagher hopes to take advantage of the Leap Card capabilities of the new card by using some of the money from the Student Assistance Fund to top up the cards of students who are financially strapped. He said: “If students are in dire need and can’t even afford to come into college, we can subsidise their trip. That was one of my visions I had for it. It’s not like hand-outs or anything, but we are giving funds directly into that machine to pay the Leap Card.”

The new Student Travel Leap Cards will cost the same as a standard Student Travel Card, at €15. Students will not have to pay the €5 refundable deposit that other Leap Card holders must pay when they purchase a card. The cards are available for purchase in the Student Centre.