Student STI screening relocates to Belfield

UCD Students’ Union has moved its subsidised STI screening clinic on campus to the Student Health Centre. The clinic previously operated out of the private surgery of Dr Ian O’Grady in Donnybrook. Dr O’Grady is a former member of the Student Health Centre’s medical staff.
SU President, Gary Redmond, told The University Observer that he was “absolutely delighted” with the move, explaining that the relocation comes as a result of improved funding to the Health Centre following the introduction of fees to the service earlier this month. He continued that “this year we’ve been able to move [the STI screening service] into the medical centre as part of the reorganisation within the medical centre, and it’s one of the new services that’ll be getting provided upstairs.” The clinic will be run by a doctor specialising in sexual health, who started working in the Student Health Centre last year.
Redmond credited the move as a project of SU Welfare Officer, Scott Ahearn, and commended him for his work on it. He said that the move was “something that Scott has worked particularly hard on over the summer”, and also stated that the SU have “always wanted to move it to campus,” citing “funding shortages” when asked why the move had not happened sooner.
Redmond has indicated that the relocation of the STI clinic will not be the last service to be introduced by the Students’ Union for the Student Health Centre, saying that it is “the first of many that will be rolled out.” Redmond also confirmed that the contraceptive clinic has returned to the Student Health Centre, having being withdrawn in the second semester of last year.
The STI screening service was started in the 2006/07 academic year, and costs €40 to students, with the SU subsiding the service by fifty per cent. The clinic will operate on Wednesday mornings, and appointments can be made for both the STI clinic and contraceptive clinic by visiting the Student Health Centre or calling (01) 716 3133.