Sports Centre shop to concentrate on UCD clothing

UCD BRANDED clothing will now be prioritised above commercial sportswear, in the sports equipment shop, located in the Sports Centre. The store has re-opened under new management for the coming academic year.

Store Manager, Ciaran Finane stated that “there hasn’t been this range of clothing and apparel available in the university colours and with the university logo on it” in past year. Mr Finane explained that he has decided to promote university clothing, over brands such as Nike and Adidas as “we feel there is definitely a market out there for just having UCD gear”.

The shop’s expanded range of UCD clothing will now include rain jackets, baseball hats, and fleeces, as well as more standard items such as hoodies and scarves.

Incoming licence-holder Mr Finane expressed his satisfaction with the shop’s performance during its first full week of trading under new ownership. “The reaction’s been extremely positive among both the student population and the working population of the University.”

The franchise for the shop was most recently held by McLoughlin Sports, a company which has traditionally been associated with sports clothing for school and college based consumers, but which has now decided to exit the apparel market and concentrate solely on equipment.

Mr Finane also explained the sports shop’s new bespoke service available for societies based in UCD wishing to have club-specific clothing items produced. “We also (now)offer quite a unique service in that students can come in and actually design their own hoodies, tracksuit tops, t-shirts for their own club online… and it’ll be made up exactly as they want it”.

The outlet, which is based inside the Sports Centre’s main entrance – has for a number of years supplied apparel and equipment for a range of university sports societies and clubs, as well as to individual students and faculty members.