Smurfit MBA programme slips to 91st in rankings

UCD’s Michael Smurfit Graduate Business School’s full time MBA programme has been ranked 91st out of the top 100 in the world in the 2014 rankings that were released. This ranking has seen the programme slip ten places since last year’s 81st placing.

The rankings focus on two surveys of the business schools and their alumni who graduated in the class of 2010. The MBA programmes are examined and assessed according to the career progression of their alumni, the programme quality and the faculty’s research achievements.

Harvard Business School was ranked first this year; representing the fifth time the school managed to secure top spot. They were one of seven schools from the US that achieved a place in the top ten for 2014.

The top European schools include London Business School, which came third, the French school Insead; which was placed sixth, and the Spanish IESE Business School; which was seventh.

Compared to other European business schools, UCD’s programme is ranked the 25th best MBA programme on the continent. The school is still the only Irish business school listed in these rankings, maintaining its status as Ireland’s leading centre of excellence in business education.

48% of the alumni surveyed for the rankings said they had no financial assistance, with the average fees for this portion of the survey standing at $100,000.

Meanwhile, 49% of the other MBA programme alumni noted that they had obtained scholarships but still had average fees of $33,000. The UCD Smurfit Graduate Business School’s MBA programmes, full-time and executive, both cost €29,500.

2014 marks the 15th consecutive year that the UCD Smurfit School, which is made up of 100 staff and over 1,300 students, has received such recognition for the quality of its MBA programme.

The school’s dean, Professor Ciarán O hÓgartaigh, commented that their achieving such a place in the MBA rankings is due to the ambition of their students and quality among the faculty.

He said, “Our students are competing with graduates from the best schools in the world in an increasingly competitive international market. We are ambitious for our students and we must ensure they are able to compete.”

“These ranking results are of enormous benefit in enabling them to do so. The results help us to attract the very best faculty and students.”

Smurfit’s MBA provides Irish students with a globally ranked and accredited Masters of business programme. Students are given the opportunity to learn through case studies, real-world projects and team assignments. There are a number of half-tuition and full-tuition scholarships available.

For over 100 years, UCD’s School of Business has educated leaders that have shaped the practice of business on a domestic and international basis. Notable alumni include Colm Lyon, Patrick Kennedy and Michael Carey.