Science Soc faces semester with absentee auditor

UCD’s Science Society is faced with the prospect of an absentee auditor for Semester Two. This is due to current auditor, third-year Actuarial Science student Justin Brayden, participating in a work placement in Scotland.

Brayden told The University Observer: “I was going to be doing a placement in Standard Life in Dublin and continuing living in Roebuck and working with Science Soc. However, the situation has changed and they can’t hire me here in Dublin and need me in Edinburgh.

“Due to the lateness of this news and the compulsory element of my course I had no choice and was directed by my teachers to take up the position because I haven’t taken a sabbatical year. I have been working solidly throughout the break to organise everything and I most definitely will be attending some events next semester.”

Deputy auditor Brian Keating is optimistic that the society events planned for semester will go off unhitched in Brayden’s absence.

Keating told The University Observer: “Unexpectedly, Justin’s situation has changed. Justin’s course requires him to complete a 6 month compulsory work placement. He had been set to start work at the beginning of the year in Dublin but due to events beyond anyone’s control, he has been required to conduct the placement in Edinburgh.”

Science Soc is a new society but Keating insists that it will remain unfazed by the absence: “Responsibilities will be shared by the society’s committee which fortunately are a great crew of workers who have been excellent all year.”

Events planned for the second semester include the flagship event Science Day, which is planned for the 17th of February, a Cake Sale in the Science Hub in aid of UCD Community Outreach, as well a number of night time events including the annual Science Ball. Keating added: “Other events to look forward to throughout the semester are the Jock Walk, which is always great fun and the Cycle to Galway, a huge part of Science and a weekend that is looked forward to by many.”

Science Soc and its predecessor (the UCD Science Day Committee) has always aimed to raise money from Our Lady’s Childrens Hospital, Crumlin and the society is adamant that this will continue past the society’s inaugural year: “Due to the successes of the Committee last year, Science Soc has seen a great rise in numbers joining in Freshers’ Week. We are now a society with just over 800 members and this year has kicked off with the Pubathon and the Toga Party, both great nights enjoyed by all in attendance.”