Science Day 2010 this Thursday

Science students have been fundraising for Crumlin Children’s Hospital ahead of the annual Science Day, taking place this Thursday, 18th February. Proceeds will specifically be donated to the Crumlin Medical Research Foundation, which fund all the research and buy equipment for the hospital. The day’s organisers hope to raise €10,000 over the course of the day, a significant increase on last year’s total of €6,000.

The day will begin at 8am with a mass bucket collection all around Dublin, in which over 100 science students will participate.

The Science Hub, which will host the majority of the day’s events, will be transformed with “a great buzz in the air”, according to Science Day committee member Gavin Nolan. Events taking place on the day will include a performance by a major Irish comedian, who is yet to be confirmed at the time of going to press, as well as a hypnosis show and a display by street soccer performers. Other activities will include a ‘Dunk the Lecturer’ game, and sumo wrestling in padded suits.

The traditional Jock Walk, which kicked off the fundraising drive, took place last Thursday, 11th February, as a group of about forty Science students interrupted morning lectures across campus with bucket collections while wearing lab coats – with only their underwear underneath.

Earlier in the month, 38 students cycled from Dublin to Galway – a distance of 215km – stopping for bucket collections in towns along the route, including Maynooth and Loughrea. Each cyclist was required to raise €450. Science Day committee member Amy O’Brien described the cycle as a “massive success”, with €14,000 being raised.

Fundraising efforts will continue after this Thursday’s activities. 29 students are taking part in a sponsored sky dive later in the year, with each entrant required to raise €650, half of which will be donated to the charity. A date for the sky dive has not yet been set.

This year’s Science Ball takes place on 25th February  in Clontarf Castle. 350 tickets are being sold for the event, priced at €65 each – €10 of which will be donated into the Crumlin fund.