S Club and 5ive set to play Christmas Ball

The annual Christmas ball is being held on December 1st in the UCD Student Bar, with popular nineties pop bands S Club and 5ive to headline.

UCD Students’ Union Ents Officer Jonny Cosgrove says that he is “uber excited” about the event and that “it’s going to be awesome”.

Ticket sales opened on November 25th and are proving extremely popular according to Cosgrove: “They’re flying out – they went on sale and they’re absolutely flying, I’d say they’ll be gone by Tuesday at the latest.”

The Christmas Ball is going to have a nineties theme, with S Club and 5ive headlining. Cosgrove said that this was decided upon as the Fresher’s Ball featured acts that were big over the summer such as headliner Tinie Tempah, the Halloween Ball had an electro theme, but for Christmas “you want to go a bit cheesy,” says Cosgrove. He said: “Nineties has just gotten retro and cool enough to listen to”.

As well as featuring the Christmas Ball on Wednesday, the last week of semester one sees Vodafone having a stand with hot chocolate and cinnamon waffles in the Student Centre on Monday and Tuesday, as well as a discounted shopping trip for students to Kildare Village on Thursday and Friday. Thursday will also see a charity gig to highlight the end of Movember.

Three of the remaining six members of S Club are set to perform on Wednesday evening, while Scott and Abs from 5ive will also be making a brief comeback at what Cosgrove says is their first gig in Dublin.

The winners of the Battle of the Buskers competition are set to perform at the ball, as are Funzo, winners of a Christmas FM competition last year, with the charity song they released for Barnardos.

Cosgrove is hoping for a sell-out event, despite the ball being held so close to exams: “We’re treating this as a stress-buster,” he says. “It’s going to be whopper.”

At the time of print, tickets were available for the event in Students’ Union shops and ucdents.com.