Restricted access to residences for UCD Ball

Access to on-campus residences, including vehicle access, was restricted on the day of the UCD Ball, Friday 24th April. Residents wishing to use their cars on the day of the UCD Ball were asked to move them to a different car park on Thursday 23rd April.

Residential Services Manager, Richard Brierley said, “It is normal practice to manage access to and from the residences on the last day of term and on the night of the UCD Ball.” Mr Brierley said that several letters had been sent to residents explaining the plans.

According to Mr Brierley, it was a requirement of the Statutory Authorities Planning Committee that “access to the residences would be managed and restricted to residents only on the day of the UCD Ball.”

belgrove1Mr Brierley continued, “As many student residents attend the UCD Ball, the decision was taken to help the Students Union (SU) with one of their biggest events and to ensure that the UCD Ball could take place without any disturbance to the safety and security of all living on campus.”

SU Entertainments (Ents) Officer Gary Redmond explained the restriction was placed on residences in accordance with the wishes of the Garda Síochana to ensure the safe running of the ball and to ensure the safety of people on campus. Mr Redmond added that the safety

procedures are also a requirement of the licence of the event and was “brought up in the District Court.” Mr Redmond went on to say, “It’s similar in other universities. It was the same last year and it’s the same in for the Trinity Ball for a number of years now, it’s absolutely nothing out of the ordinary.”

First year Equine Science student, Jackie Draper said of the regulations, “I suppose it is a safer thing to do but then it is a bit of an inconvenience, especially with cars and stuff to bring in, I don’t have a car on campus but a few of my friends would and they’d be driving in.”

Echoing this, first year Commerce student, Kevin Quinlan said the gates being “locked for driving, probably won’t suit some people.”