Residences Ball cancelled

The Residences Harry Potter themed Ball, which was set to take place on February 1st, has been cancelled.

According to Students’ Union Welfare Officer Rachel Breslin, the event was cancelled due to slow ticket sales, “tickets had been on sale for a few days and it was coming to the point where we had to confirm acts and pay for acts, we would have had to pay for the dinner, so we were coming to the point where our costs were increasing significantly. We just didn’t want to run an event that wouldn’t break even.” Forty tickets had been sold and deposits were held for twenty.

The ball was originally expected to take place before Christmas but according to Breslin there had not been sufficient time to advertise the event.

The purpose of the ball was to allow students living on campus to have an event to go to together as a house or apartment, “so they would have an event that they would remember together because a lot of the time, and I know myself, I wouldn’t really see the people I lived with in first year anymore, even though I got on really well with them. It’s something that you could remember that you did together as a house, particularly for international students who don’t have a faculty ball, because a lot of their friends would be living on residence with them. We thought there would be a market there and tried to see if it was feasible and we didn’t want to run it at a loss.”

Breslin expressed disappointment that the event had to be cancelled, but maintained that another event aimed at students living on campus would be organised instead, “I would have loved to have seen it happen, but it just means we’ll do something else that’s residences orientated instead … I think we did try our best but the interest just wasn’t there.”

Students who purchased tickets will receive a full refund.