Relay for Life confirmed as annual event

The recently set up committee for Relay for Life are in the process of planning the event, in aid of the Irish Cancer Society, with the 24 hour walk expected to take place in April.

Students’ Union Welfare officer, Micheal Gallagher, describes the Relay For Life as a “massive logistical event.” There are therefore many committee positions such as event chair, sponsorship, fundraising, team development, publicity and logistical chair required to run the relay.

Gallagher says of the SU’s involvement in the event, that: “the welfare crew will be very heavily involved as well as all the echelons of the Student’s Union…offering them [the teams] every piece of support they need”

Gallagher, having actually participated in the Relay last year with a team from Social Science, described it as “probably the most powerful event that I’ve ever been to.”

This year’s Relay For Life will take place on April 3rd 2013 on the G.A.A astro turf pitch in UCD, the same venue as last year. Gallagher says the advertising of the event will be taken up by the SU with “a lot of posters, Facebook, and traditional means of advertising as well we’ll include information about it in our all student email that we get in the Student’s Union.”

Relay For Life is an event participated in by more than four million people in over 20 countries around the world. It is the signature fundraiser of the American Cancer Society, but has been adopted by branches of the charity worldwide. This year’s event will be the second event of its kind held at UCD, and involves volunteers walking or running around a track for 24 hours. Each team is asked to have at least one participant on the track at all times, because ‘cancer never sleeps.’

Several of the laps will be themed, with the first lap of the relay to be walked by survivors. The ‘luminaria’, or ‘candle of light’, ceremony then remembers all whom we have lost their fight to cancer. Lastly, the involvement of the volunteers in the relay and fundraising symbolises their active attempts to fight cancer.

Fundraisers are run before and during the event: “The different teams may have fundraised in the run up to the Relay for Life, selling the candles for the candles of hope ceremony. The different teams in the different tents also have fundraisers going on constantly, I remember clearly last year, one team were selling cupcakes, another team operated a kissing booth, nicely themed to their own team,” says Gallagher.