Registrar agrees to halve registration fee for one-semester students

Plans to half registration fees for resit and repeat students are due to be finalised in the coming weeks. Students taking resit and repeat exams from September 2009, will pay registration fees judged on the number of semesters they will be sitting.

Students’ Union (SU) Education Officer, Paul Lynam has yet to conclude the agreement, however he is confisdent that the new system has been “agreed” with the Registrar.

The prospective registration system is viewed by Mr Lynam as a “progression for students and is a step in the right direction”, adding that drop in fees was “one of the things that (he is) definitely happiest about before starting the year”.

Mr Lynam explained why he pushed for the move, criticising the current practice whereby resit and repeat students pay the full registration fee of €900, in additional to the €220 charged per resit exam or repeat module.

Describing this practice as “really unfair”, Mr Lynam argued that “for students to repeat one module, this is really expensive.”

These developments arise as the registration fee is raised by €75 for all students attending university this September. Describing himself as “not too happy” with the increase, Mr Lynam explained that “the government are requesting 70 percent of it back, so in theory, you are actually giving most of the money to the government, rather than to the university for which it was originally intended”.

Mr Lynam sees the rise in registration fee as an excessive financial burden on students, contrasting the current fee to the original €150 registration fee that was introduced after the abolition of tuition fees. “Registration fee has increased dramatically. The original proposal for this year was €150, which was blocked by our USI member of the Higher Education Authority.”

Referring to recent surveys which stated that the cost of a college education was around €9500 per annum, Mr Lynam stress that “that is with free education, so you can imagine what would happen if fees were introduced, a lot of students, no matter what their financial background, could not afford to go to college.”

The prospective registration system is described by Mr Lynam as a “progression for students and is a step in the right direction.”

He contributed that this agreement was “one of the things that I am definitely happiest about before starting the year.“