Quinn withdraws support for Comm Day

Following much confusion surrounding its cancellation earlier in the year, the traditional Commerce Day charity event will now be taking place under a different name. The event cannot use the established title of Commerce Day as it has no longer has any formal connections to the Quinn School of Business, who have refused to endorse the event.

The Commerce & Economics (C&E) Society and QSoc will run a series of charity events this week in aid of Concern’s Haiti appeal.

C&E Auditor Laura Arnold told The University Observer that “technically [the event] is just a society event this year. QSoc and C&E have come together to organise a similar event to Commerce Day. Obviously it doesn’t really have the backing of the Quinn School, as it is entirely a different event, so we had to use a different name.”

Since its inauguration in 1995, Commerce Day has been one of the most notable charity events hosted in UCD. The auditors of both societies were disappointed that the fundraiser will have to go ahead under a different name, but have chosen to focus on positive aspects of the event rather than to dwell on the issue.

“It is something that we have had to deal with from the start and get over it,” commented Arnold. “At the end of the day it’s for charity and everyone coming together in the Quinn School.” QSoc Auditor Matthew Gleeson echoed Arnold’s feelings, saying: “It’s unfortunate because Commerce Day is such a well known name, entity and brand. However, it is really the spirit that will come through on the day.”

It is understood that the Quinn School are reluctant to support the event following a delay in the release of funds from last year’s Commerce Day to its designated charity, Cara Malawi. This in turn has been attributed to a delay in the release of PayPal funds raised by the event through an online auction. Director of the Quinn School of Business, Professor Aileen Pierce, declined to comment on the event when contacted by The University Observer.

Regular Commerce Day sponsors Certified Public Accountants (CPA) have retained their role as title sponsors for the event, with Jack Willis and Spin 103.8 also affiliated with the project. Numerous events will be held throughout a three-day programme to raise money for the Concern Worldwide Haiti Appeal.

On Tuesday, a charity poker night at the Voodoo card club in Arran Quay with, a portion of the buy in and re-buy in money going towards charity according to Gleeson. A campus-wide bucket collection will be held on Wednesday, while collections will also be held throughout the city centre and the south side of Dublin.

Though Commerce Day traditionally takes place in the first weeks of the second semester, when students’ academic commitments are less restrictive, neither auditor has reported difficulty in securing help to run the event, saying that Quinn students have been more than happy to help.

“We have had a surprising amount of interest given the amount of reshuffles and off the cuff stuff we have been doing,” stated Gleeson. “We have had a very committed committee of thirty to forty people who have consistently turned up for meetings and have been churning out the sign-up sheets so far.”