Professor Deeks begins tenure as UCD President

— First time an external applicant has been appointed President
— Prof. Deeks: ‘Dr Brady was key to boosting UCD’s international reputation’

Professor Andrew Deeks has begun his tenure as President of UCD, assuming the role from Dr Hugh Brady after his term ended in December 2013.

The appointment of Prof. Deeks was initially announced last July when UCD Governing Authority approved his appointment as UCD President elect.

Prof. Deeks left his role as Pro Vice-Chancellor in the Faculty of Science in Durham Univeristy to take the role of President of UCD. During his time in this role at Durham University, Prof. Deeks focused on developing the international presence of the University by setting up global partnerships in China and Brazil.

The selection of Prof. Deeks as the ninth President of UCD represents the first instance of the University appointing an external candidate to the position. He is also the first non-Irish head of UCD.

Prof. Deeks was the only applicant for the role that reached the panel phase of the appointment process as the sole other candidate on the shortlist, also from overseas, withdrew from contention.

Prof. Deeks was born in the United Kingdom, 1963, but was his family relocated to Perth, Western Australia, when he was 6-years-old. In 1984, he graduated from his civil engineering degree at the University of Western Australia (UWA). By 1992, he had earned a Masters of Engineering Science (1987) and Doctorate in Philosophy (1992) from UWA.

In 2009, he moved back to the United Kingdom to take on the position of Pro Vice-Chancellor in the Faculty of Science at Durham University, where he was praised for improving the University’s international presence.

It was noted by Governing Authority that his role in securing Durham University a consistent presence in the QS and Times Higher Education university rankings top 100 was a deciding factor behind appointing him to the role.

Following his appointment in July, Prof. Deeks expressed his eagerness to take on the role of President at UCD. “UCD plays a unique role in Irish society and economy, and, under the stewardship of Dr Hugh Brady, has made impressive inroads into becoming a truly international university.

“I will bring ideas and approaches learnt from my experiences in the UK and Australia and blend these with the undoubted ambition and energy I see among the high calibre people at UCD to ensure UCD is recognised throughout Ireland and the world as an international and intercultural place of learning and scholarship of the highest standard, benefiting local, national and global communities.”

Prof. Deeks succeeds Dr Hugh Brady as President of UCD. The latter figure played a key role in UCD over the past ten years overseeing the introduction of UCD Horizons modular and credits based curriculum. Dr Brady is also credited with boosting the international recognition of UCD during his tenure.