Professor Andrew Deeks announced as UCD President elect

University College Dublin Governing Authority have approved the appointment of Professor Andrew Deeks as UCD President elect. Professor Deeks will succeed current President Dr Hugh Brady following the end of Dr Brady’s tenure in December 2013.

Professor Deeks is currently the Pro Vice-Chancellor in the Faculty of Science in Durham Univeristy. During his time in this role, Professor Deeks has focused on developing the international presence of the University by setting up global partnerships in China and Brazil.

The announcement of Professor Deeks as UCD President elect was welcomed by the Chair of the Governing Authority, Mr Dermot Gallagher who praised Professors Deeks leadership abilities and ability to maintain UCD’s competitiveness in the university sector: “[Professor] Andrew Deeks has an impressive track record of leadership roles in the university sector.  UCD operates in a competitive international arena and his expertise and knowledge will help us to strengthen our national position while maintaining an active outward-looking focus.”

Following the announcement, Professor Deeks spoke of his delight at the opportunity to assume the role of UCD President from January 2014:  “I am very much looking forward to taking up the role of President of UCD, Ireland’s largest university.”

He continued: “UCD plays a unique role in Irish society and economy, and, under the stewardship of Dr Hugh Brady, has made impressive inroads into becoming a truly international university. I will bring ideas and approaches learnt from my experiences in the UK and Australia and blend these with the undoubted ambition and energy I see among the high calibre people at UCD to ensure UCD is recognised throughout Ireland and the world as an international and intercultural place of learning and scholarship of the highest standard, benefiting local, national and global communities.”