Preparations begin for first Res Ball

UCD Students’ Union have begun preparations for UCD’s first ever Res Ball, which is being held on the 29th of November in the Burlington Hotel on Upper Leeson Street.

The initiative is aimed at students living in UCD’s residences, including Glenomena, Roebuck, Merville and Belgrove on campus and Proby, Muckross and Blackrock off campus.

According to SU Campaigns and Communications Officer, Brendan Lacey, a relatively low turnout is expected as it is the first year the event is being run, “we’re expecting small numbers for the first year ever but we’re hoping that people from res can get involved with it”. He expects a turnout of 250 to 300 students, though insists that the event can be made bigger if there is a substantial enough interest.

Lacey stated that the reason behind organising the ball was to create a greater sense of community among residents and to give students living on campus something that is exclusively their own.

“The community feel in residences has always been quite poor … there just wasn’t anything for people who lived in residence – you could get involved with societies, most of which have their own balls, you were part of it as a community but you were never part of it as something that was just for you. That’s what the concept behind it is – to give people who live on res something that’s just for them.”

“It could be a really great night if you had people coming from [all residences] coming together for a night for a black tie event. It’s our own soiree and hopefully it will be something that is really good and if it works this year maybe next year they can try make it a bit bigger and improve on it again. This year we just wanted to make it happen”.

Lacey is eager to have students living in residences to help organise the event, “we’re hoping to get the RAs involved and obviously the res reps; we’ll be putting together a ‘Res Committee’ from people who live on res and who want to have a part in running this. They’ll be working on the logistics of the event”.

The event is targeted mostly at students living in residences as “the whole concept is to get people from res there”. Tickets will be on sale from next week in residences and will be available on campus closer to the event. They will be priced at approximately €35.