Poker Soc reformed after ethical uncertainty

THE POKER society (Poker Soc) in UCD has reformed in time for September 2009 after previously being prevented from operating by the university due to ethical uncertainties experienced by the society.

The society, which was forced to disband after playing illegal cash games, was allowed to re-establish itself after assuring the university that such cash games would not be played in future.

The Auditor of Poker Soc, Kealan Walters, said they were allowed to reform the society after confirming that the society would be run according to university regulations. Mr Walters said that the shutdown of the society was due to both discrepancies regarding the society’s accounts and the society’s rejection of university rules.

“I think one of the reasons might have been that they were playing cash games which is illegal,” said Mr Walters. “I’m not sure of the details exactly but they didn’t seem to run the society in a way the university was happy with.”

However, Mr Walters then confirmed, “I’ve been speaking to [UCD Societies Officer] Richard Butler and I’ve assured him that there will be no cash games, that it will be just tournaments,” said Mr Walters. He added that the society checked their practices with a solicitor to ensure “the legality of it and it all checked out okay.”

While he stated that he was a member of Poker Soc before it was disbanded, he explained that the society’s practice of playing cash games led to its closure as such events in UCD are illegal.

To counter this problem, Poker Soc will now hold tournaments where each player pays a fee to play and gets a number of chips to participate. Mr Walters believes that this will keep the society in line with the university’s society requirements and regulations.

“The chips on the table don’t actually represent any money. You pay €10 and get 5,000 chips, but these chip do not represent any actual cash,” Mr Walters went on to explain.

Although a management committee for the society has yet to be formed, Mr Walters spoke of his delight with the number of students that have expressed an interest in starting up the society.

“I haven’t actually advertised for membership yet but there were a lot of emails when I put up posters around the campus for the committee,” Mr Walters added.