Pink Day raises €1,800 for Irish Cancer Society

UCD Students’ Union ran Pink Day, a day-long event aimed at promoting awareness of women’s health issues has raised €1,800 for the Irish Cancer Society.

A number of events were organised throughout campus, including a bucket collection between 8am and 2pm, a traditional music session performed by TradSoc, a “duvet day”, and a ‘pink breakfast’ featuring all pink food. A new addition to this year’s Pink Day was a spray tanning booth, which aimed to highlight the dangers of sun beds and sun bathing as major causes of skin cancer. UCDSU Gender Equality Co-ordinator Ciara Johnson explains they also “had information stands in the Student Centre and we had the Beauty Clinic from Woodbine Park Road; they came in and were offering spray tans in exchange for donations to charity.”

“We had it set up in a room just off the main area in the student centre, so it was a really central location. Upwards of 35 people availed of this during the course of the day so it was actually really good, it was a massive success. It really engaged with people who mightn’t have normally gotten involved in campaigns, so it was a good way of raising awareness, but also it caught people’s imagination.”

The main aims of Pink Day were to “raise awareness for breast cancer and women’s health issues; to raise awareness across campus of a number of issues, and to help raise money for the Irish Cancer Society, which was our chosen charity this year”.

The €1,800 raised marks an improvement over previous years. When asked on what attributed to the success of the day, UCDSU Campaigns and Communications Officer Paddy Guiney said: “It was all down to the Gender Equality Officer, Ciara Johnson. Ciara worked tirelessly on it”.

Johnson believes that the Unions’ message was spread in a suitable way, stating: “I definitely think it helped raise awareness across campus. We had people lecture addressing throughout the day, information videos available online which people could check out for different ways of self-checking for lumps, so that was a really good way of raising awareness as well and it targeted people who might not have been at the hub of activity, which was the Student Centre.”

Guiney was pleased overall with the events, and feels the aims of the day were reached: “Quite simply, the main aim for Pink Day was to raise awareness for what the Irish Cancer Society does.”

Blue Day, a day aimed at raising awareness of male health issues is planned for the second semester.