Over €30,000 raised in faculty days

A COMBINED figure of over €30,000 has been raised for numerous charities during three faculty days in UCD over the last two weeks. Commerce Day (Comm Day), which took place on Wednesday, 11th February, raised over €12,000 while Science Day and Law and Business and Legal (B&L) Day, which both took place on Thursday 19th raised €6,000 and €12,000 respectively.

The coordinators of each faculty day expressed their satisfaction with the amounts raised despite figures having fallen since last year. Law and B&L Day Coordinator, Aisling O’Rourke, explained that in “previous years we’ve always broken 20,000,” however she added that she is “really pleased” with the final amount raised.

Science Day Organiser, Donnacha Ó Súilleabháin, felt that the event turned out well saying, “I’m very happy with how it went… it was an excellent turn out from Science”. Comm Day Coordinator, Mike Pat O’Donoghue, said that “we had good numbers from what was there… but I think people do have academic commitments and there’s nothing you can do about it.”

Various charities will benefit from the fundraising. The proceeds from Comm Day will be donated the money to Cara Malawi, a small charity which aids the development of the village Kaphuka in Malawi. Mr O’Donoghue explained the choice of the charity; “What I like about the charity is you know if you’re putting money in there that you’re potentially saving a life, there’s no money lost in administration.”

The majority of funds raised for Law and B&L Day will be donated to Temple Street Children’s Hospital while the rest will be donated to the Free Legal Advice Centre (FLAC). All funds raised from Science Day will be given to the Children’s Cancer fund in Our Lady’s Children’s Hospital in Crumlin.

The faculty days hosted a range of fundraising events such as street collecting, coffee mornings and soccer. Science Day featured the comedian Andrew Stanley, the hypnotist Paul Dee and the street soccer player ‘Nam the Man’ with the nightclub event held in Rio’s. Law and B&L Day featured a comedy debate ‘Field O’Banter’ with a nightclub event in Burn Beach Club.

Highlights of Comm Day included appearances by Rosanna Davidson, Eamonn Coghlan and Dublin’s 98. The day ended with a performance by The Blizzards in the Students’ Club before moving to the nightclub event in D2. Mr O’Donoghue commented “I think we made four or five grand alone off the nightclub event because D2 were nice enough to give us one hundred percent ticket sales and tickets flew out.”